Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A Very Difficult Confession

I have something to tell you. Something of which I'm very ashamed. Something that, if they knew it, would make my closest friends shake their heads in horror and disbelief.

I'm rooting for the Cubs to win the World Series.

Shocking. I know. I've been a Cardinals fan my whole life. As such, I'm sworn to hate the Cubs with every last fiber of my being. I'm supposed to gloat every time someone mentions Lou Brock. I'm obligated to grin from ear to ear each time the tape of Steve Bartman's miraculous catch is replayed.

But the Cardinals are out of the playoffs this year, and it's not really the Cubs' fault. The Cards made a miraculous late run to get within one game of first place, then fell apart, losing nine in a row. I have to pick another team to root for in the playoffs. Would that be the Yankees? The Red Sox? Please. The Mets? You've gotta be kidding me.

No, it's time. I figure that maybe if the Cubs win, we can quit hearing about the Curse of the Billygoat, and maybe they'll lose their reputation as a team of lovable losers, and just revert back to being losers. Plus, as a Cards fan, I owe the Cubs a little something for how they responded on June 22, 2002. I guess Zambrano's not as bad as some; I have to admit that his antics would certainly be acceptable if he were winning games for the Cards instead of regularly beating their brains in. And it's really impossible to dislike Derrek Lee. So, I'll be pulling for them to win this year.

Just this once.

No comments: